Thursday, February 16, 2017

Hope Restored


It is very difficult to put feelings into perspective especially for those of you who have not lived in Lesotho, but I feel like I need to share my experience yesterday. To be very honest, by the end of the day I was so angry that I just wanted to march into the ministry of social development and rant and rave and spew all the things I have been stuffing inside for years. Poor Bryan got stuck listening to my tirade on our way to dinner, and thankfully. he is still talking to me so I must not have been too offensive.


It all started off with bad news affecting a child whom I have loved for a long time. She just isn't going to be able to have a family. Through no fault of her own, but due to a person who didn't do their job right (not referring to anyone at BG). That is it, a person who didn't do their paperwork right just RUINED a child's hope for a family.


Then I got to be a social worker for a day and read up on some children's profiles for a special project I had to work on. There is a good reason that I usually don't read their stories. It just sucks. It is painful to read about their beginnings before BG. Stories of rape, incest, choosing a lover over a child, dropping a kid off and running away, being locked in a home for days, being dumped in a ditch and the list goes on and on and on. This is real life stuff that these kids have faced and not all of them were babies that could just forget this. This is their story, and while I firmly believe that God can and will redeem each life, each story, walking through their pain made my heart cry out. INJUSTICE!!!!!!!!! Oh my heart, these poor precious little ones have walked an unbelievable journey, and it isn't over yet. I closed the file cabinet with a heavy heart. I was not just reading a story, I had entered into the raw pain of children I hold, play with and take pictures of each week. I KNOW them and I liked being ignorant of their story and just loving on them. The story doesn't change the way I interact with them, it just weighs down my heart.


There was one more injustice to add to my day and it was more than I could bear. 2 precious children had been placed in a terrible place and needed intervention. They needed to be moved to a safe place, but they did not know how dangerous their situation was. Removing children from their mother, wow, that is heartbreaking. The crying, the look of fear, the shaking and terror are so real. How can you say that you are safe and they will be ok when you have removed them from their only comforter that they have ever known? Pray for the social worker, the nurse and the house mothers as they try to bring comfort and answers to some very hard questions. Pray for the kids who really don't know that we are doing what is best for them. I held one of them while he was screaming and it was so sad. I tried everything I could think of, and then I just started to pray out loud for him. It was a hard day. Disappointment, harsh realities and raw pain rolled up in one day.


After that we went out for dinner with some friends from England. I was able to vent my frustrations to Bryan on the way and then just focus on friends during dinner. Elijah was left in charge at home so we could go out for dinner and enjoy an adult conversation. Toward the end of our dinner we began to get some texts from Elijah wondering when we were coming home. I was surprised by this because he doesn't usually send messages. After dinner we headed home to a nice surprise. Faith had made us a cake, Elijah had made a British flag. They had plates, napkins, cups and drinks out for us, and it was a wonderful surprise. I am just amazed that on a day where it seemed there was just no good left in the world, my own kids showed me how a random act of kindness can really bring hope back.

I cannot change what I know. I cannot make someone do their job (trust me, if there was a way, I would be using it), I cannot stop abandonment, but I can offer little acts of kindness to restore hope to these kids

2 comments:

  1. I sit here at my desk reading and crying over what you have written. Both for the utter sadness and frustration you feel and for the beautiful gift of your children. They were divinely named. You and your family are a light in the pain of this world. You bring His Kingdom with the love of Jesus that flows out of you. Hold tight to Him as He holds you firmly within His grasp. Praying for His shalom to fill all of you as you walk in each days trials and gifts knowing that their is nothing that surprises Him, nothing that has not first gone through His fingers. He is and will continue to be glorified. Sometimes it may be hard to see or understand how. Praying that you will be filled afresh with His promises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the pain and tears of when I read the children's profiles while helping with a social worker project. I'd be sitting at my desk crying. You have an amazing heart that God is using to bless those around you. And your kids are joy! Praying for you guys and I'm always here to talk.

    ReplyDelete