Sunday, May 7, 2017

Help Needed

I am writing this post to share some really sad news. One of my dearest friends, Kimberly, who has become like a sister to me has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer which is in many of her organs. She has been a part of our family for the last 6 years (she is a missionary through MAF) and comes over every Wednesday night for dinner. We have even taken multiple family vacations with her, we walked through the process of adoption at the same time (we were matched with our children at the same matching meeting and crazy enough, all 3 girls were raised by the same house mother at BG), she is on the board of BG and helped me pull off the best surprise ever when we had a Basotho blanket made for our handover ceremony this past January.
Kimberly waiting to go on her furlough until the day after Bryan and I had our handover ceremony so she could share in this special day with us. She was so excited to take her daughter Lebo home to meet her mother (who was just diagnosed at the end of last year with cancer and who is in treatments right now) and her sister, and nieces and all of her wonderful friends and family. She left Lesotho with every intention of coming back. We even made fun plans for August 12th....
But she is not coming back. She didn't even get to say good-bye and now she has been in the hospital for over a week and her situation looks pretty difficult. Not too impossible for God, but from an earthly perspective, it does not look good.
That being said, I have been feeling a need to go and see her and bring her some love from Lesotho. I am packing up a suitcase for her daughter and her of some of the things they may need since they are not coming back like they planned. I am bringing cards and videos of those who love her dearly and are not getting to see her again because they can't get to California. I am planning to go and spend time with her and hold her hand as she processes all of this life changing news. I am going to go see my little niece (Lebo calls me "Aunt Anita") and help her see a familiar face.
But I need a little help from others. Many of you have met her, and even if you haven't, I am asking you to pray for a miracle. Please pray that God would remove this cancer and allow her to be the mother she has always longed to be. I am also asking for anyone who has a little extra to give, to consider helping me pay for my plane tickets. This was not in our budget at all, but Bryan and I feel that this is what we should do, so if you are able to help, I would appreciate it very much. I have not told her that I am coming and plan to surprise her ,so if you are reading this and you know her, please don't share this with her. I am leaving this week so I can get there for her birthday!
You can give through our paypal button on this blog, but you need to select the down arrow where it says Bryan and Anita Geurink Fund or you can mail a check to:

AFBGI Ministries
Geurink Fund
100 Pine Street
Suite 107
Zeeland, MI 49464
Attn: Vern Meyaard

Thank you for your support and prayers. I look forward to sharing a little Lesotho with my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment